I need to update more often. I KNOW! I somehow just never get around to it – But thanks for checking anyway!
So, today’s post is Chicken, Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna. Notice lasagna is spelt with an “a” not an “e” as lasagna is singular while lasagne is plural – One of the things I learnt when researching lasagne. Lasagna, for the culinarily challenged, is an Italian casserole dish made with layers of pasta, cheese, sauce and other ingredients. The commons ones you buy at takeout shops are usually lasagna bolognaise or other lasagne with tomato sauce. Like always, I differed from the norm and I chose to invent my very own Chicken, Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna with White Sauce. It was pretty successful. The hearty dish is quite mild in its flavour with all the ingredients complimenting each other nicely. As well as a pleasant flavour, the dish also is very appetising and is perfect for a cold day.
My previous post was on making pasta from scratch – Conveniently, I was planning on making lasagna with the pasta sheets. So, I encourage everyone to make their own pasta sheets for this recipe.
Chicken, Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna with White sauce
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 600g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 400g chicken, chopped as finely as humanly possible
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 1 onion, diced
- Handful of parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lot of Pasta dough (see previous post)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees F) fan forced.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter, flour, milk, salt, pepper and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Take it off the heat when the cheese has melted. You have made white sauce! Set aside for later.
- In another pan, heat some oil, brown the onions. Stir in the garlic. Add in chicken and brown also. Season with salt and pepper and set aside for later.
- Grill the slices of eggplant and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for later.
- Flour a bench surface. Take a handful of the pasta dough and roll it out to a 1.5mm thick sheets. You can trim them to size with a pizza cutter. Flour the sheets and set aside for later. Repeat this step to the rest of the pasta dough to make the lasagna sheets!
- Gather all the ingredients including the rest of the mozzarella and also an oven-proof dish to bake your lasagna in. It should be of reasonable depth because you want at least 3 layers in it.
- Cover the bottom of your dish with lasagna sheets. Now look at the rest lasagna sheets and estimate how many layers you can make with it then divide the ingredients accordingly (NB. Divide your mozzarella as though there is one more layer to cater for so that there will be some to top the lasagna off!). For example, if you can make four layers, quarter all your ingredients and divide your mozzarella into fifths so that each layer will be even and you can use your extra mozzarella too top the lasagna before baking.
- To start off your layers, first make a thick layer of white sauce over your lasagna sheets.
- Then layer on your grilled eggplant and zucchini
- Then evenly spread your chicken and onion over the grilled vegetables
- Put lots and lots of mozzarella over the chicken and onion before covering with another layer of pasta sheets
- Repeat this process until you’ve run out of ingredients. The last thing you should have put on is the pasta sheets. Then, top with the remaining mozarella.
- Place in oven and bake for 45mins.